5 Different Types of Massage Therapies and Their Benefits
What is Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy is an ancient form of treatment that has been used in many cultures and traditions around the world. It is a physical therapy that aims to manipulate the soft tissues in the body, especially muscles and tendons, to relieve tension and stress.
Massage has been an integral part of the healthcare industry for a long time. It is used to reduce pain and inflammation, as well as to help patients recover from surgery or injury.
5 Different Types of Massage Therapies
Here are 5 different types of massage therapies- Swedish Massage Therapy, Deep Tissue Massage, Lymphatic Massage, Sports Massage, and Oncology Massage along with their benefits offered.
Swedish Massage Therapy: The most popular kind of massage therapy in Surrey is Swedish massage. With this massage, the therapist can assist clients to relax by loosening their tense muscles.
Calming the entire body is the main goal of a Swedish massage. To do this, long strokes are used to return the blood to the heart.
Some advantages of Swedish Massage Therapy are beneficial to a person’s health in the following ways:
- Reduce Muscle Tension
- Increase oxygen levels in the blood
- Increase flexibility and blood flow
- Relax the muscles
- Reduce amounts of the stress hormone cortisol, which raises blood sugar levels
- Boost the immune system by increasing the number of lymphocytes, which are white blood cells.
Deep Tissue Massage: Deep Tissue Massage targets knots and taut bands in the deep layers of muscle tissue. It is designed to release tension and improve circulation by increasing lymphatic drainage. This type of massage can be beneficial for a number of different types of injuries, including tennis elbow, bursitis, and sprains.
Some advantages of Deep Tissue Massage are below:
- Helps to break down scar tissue and get rid of adhesions or “knots” (bands of painful, rigid tissue)
- Reduced range of motion and improved circulation
- Decrease muscular inflammation
- Assist people in recovering from injuries including whiplash and falls
- Alleviate the discomfort caused by strain injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome
- Helps to improve posture issues
- Reduce the discomfort of osteoarthritis
Lymphatic Massage: Lymphatic drainage massage is a type of massage therapy that is used to help the lymphatic system, which is responsible for removing fluid from the body. It is a therapeutic technique that aims to improve lymph flow and circulation in order to promote health and healing.
A lymphatic massage is a hands-on approach that uses elbows or forearms for light pressure, Some therapists also use tools like a roller to apply pressure along the spine.
This type of massage can be helpful for people who have experienced recent weight loss, those who have undergone surgery (particularly abdominal surgery), those who are experiencing chronic pain, and people who have been diagnosed with lymphedema.
Some advantages of Lymphatic Massage Therapy are below:
- Lymph fluid is circulated to reduce discomfort
- Collects lymph fluid that is drained after breast cancer surgery
- Reduces swelling and Improves circulation
- Promotes relaxation & healing
- Improve immunity system
- Improves skin issues such as dull tone & puffiness
Sports Massage: Sports massage is a form of bodywork that is specifically designed to provide relief from the physical stress and strain of athletic activity. It is also an important part of rehabilitation from injury.
This is particularly true for the athletes, who need the right care and support to perform to the best of their abilities and avoid further injuries.
Some advantages of Sports Massage are below:
- Improved circulation
- Increased flexibility and range of motion
- Reduced muscle tension, and decreased pain.
- Help relieve muscle spasms and soreness.
- Reduce recovery times after a workout
- Boost performance level
- Reduce the effects of a physical exercise on the muscles and joints
- Aid in preventing injuries caused by sports
- Encourage muscular balance and tissue repair
Oncology Massage: Oncology massage is a type of massage therapy that improve the quality of life of cancer patients. It has been proven to reduce anxiety, depression, and fatigue.
This type of massage is done by professionals who are trained in oncology massage therapy. They are often nurses, physical therapists, or occupational therapists who have studied the benefits of this type of treatment and also how to perform it properly.
The goal of oncology massage is to make the patient feel more relaxed and comfortable with their condition by reducing stress and anxiety.
Some common techniques used in oncology massage include gentle touch, therapeutic touch, lymphatic drainage, and muscle relaxation techniques such as self-massage or joint mobilization.
Some advantages of Oncology Massage are below:
- It can also be used as a form of relaxation therapy for cancer patients
- It can help with pain management
- It helps to treat stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Helps in reducing headaches
- Reduce chemotherapy-related nausea issues
There are many different types of massage techniques that are used by therapists to help their clients achieve these goals. At All-Pro Physio Clinic, you will meet the expert registered massage therapists who will assist people of all ages to treat a variety of conditions with massage therapy in Surrey.