Neck Pain: Causes, Symptoms, and How does Physiotherapy help with neck pain?
Neck pain is a common problem in the modern world that affects all types of ages. It is caused by many factors, such as poor posture, sleeping in an awkward position, and even a bad habit of looking down at your phone.
This article will provide you with a neck pain therapy guide to treat pain. We also cover the causes & symptoms of neck pain and how to avoid pain in the future.
So, Let’s started..
What is Neck Pain?
Neck pain is a condition where tense occurs in the neck and upper back area.
Some people may experience it after an injury to the neck area or because of repetitive movements that strain the neck muscles. It can also be due to a pinched nerve in the spine. Neck pain is usually felt at the base of your neck and may extend up to your head.
Neck pain can also be associated with problems that affect the nerves, muscles, and ligaments in your neck. The most common problem is vertebral compression fractures caused by osteoporosis. It can also result from previous accidents or trauma to the neck.
There are many different ways to help relieve neck pain. A doctor may prescribe medication to relieve the pain but most people prefer neck pain physio, heat therapy, massage therapy, or acupuncture to help with their neck pain as physio is the healing process with the least usage of medications
Tips to prevent neck pain:
- Avoid sitting in one position for too long.
- Try to maintain relevancy and posture by moving your head up periodically.
- Maintain good balance throughout the day and prevent strain on the neck area by not leaning too far forward or backward.
- Avoid carrying heavy loads on your shoulder and neck.
- Stretch your body regularly to maintain good muscle tone, which can help prevent tension in the neck and shoulder areas.
- Avoid performing any strenuous activity that does not allow you to remain seated with your head, neck, and spine in a neutral position i.e.sitting with your feet flat on the floor and your back straight.
- Use caution when driving or operating machinery.
- Avoid sharp neck movements.
What are the main Causes and Symptoms of Neck Pain?
Neck pain is a common problem that can be caused by many different factors. Some of them are given below:
- Poor posture, stresses your neck muscles and puts pressure on your cervical spine.
- A sudden neck movement may cause a muscle spasm in the neck or upper back.
- Poor sleeping habits, such as sleeping on your stomach or lack of exercises
- Sitting for long periods of time can cause muscle strain in the neck and shoulders.
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time without taking breaks to stretch or move around, can lead to stiffness in the neck and shoulders.
- Lifting heavy objects incorrectly
- Infection or inflammation of tissues around the spine,
- Other causes include arthritis, whiplash injury, poor ergonomics at work, or injury from a car accident.
The symptoms of neck pain can vary from person to person depending on the cause. Common symptoms include:
- Difficulty moving the neck.
- Difficulty swallowing, tongue or lip numbness (paresthesia)
- Occasional dizziness or vertigo
- Weakness and Pain in the arms, hands, neck, upper back, or shoulder
- Nerve injury.
- Nerve compression, which may be caused by a bulging disc or pinched nerve
- Tumor overgrowth that presses on the nerves of your neck
- Muscle spasm and strain due to poor posture or movement disorder
- Trauma, such as whiplash injury in a car accident
- Worse Pain in the morning or night
- Numbness or tingling sensation in the arms, hands, neck, upper back, or shoulder
- Muscle stiffness
- Pain while coughing, sneezing, reaching, or sitting
How does Physiotherapy help with neck pain?
Physiotherapy is the most effective and safest treatment for neck pain. The expected results outcome include:
- Pain and stiffness are reduced: The physiotherapist will assist you to decrease discomfort in the affected area and get relaxing tight sore muscles in the neck and shoulder with massage therapies like acupuncture.
- Restoring the Strength: Your physiotherapist will design a therapy program tailored to your individual needs, which will help in the restoring strength of muscles in the affected area.
- Enhanced range of motion: Your physiotherapist will include flexibility exercises into your treatment plan to help increase your neck range of motion. With the neck pain physiotherapy, Joints in the neck and shoulder will be freed up and mobilized.
- Prevention of future injuries: You can avoid future neck injuries and chronic pain with physiotherapy. Your physiotherapists will assist you and provide a treatment plan to strengthen the parts of your body which are most likely to get injured.
- Enhancement of overall life quality: The therapy helps you return to your normal routine faster and enhance health and quality of life. It can also help in improving body mechanics, lowering pain, boosting blood circulation, avoiding headaches, and aiding with rehabilitation.
Do You need Neck Pain Therapy?
Are you experiencing the above neck pain symptoms? Then you must go for physiotherapy before it gets worse. Visit All-Pro Physio specialist for offering the most affordable Neck Pain Physiotherapy in Surrey, BC. We are just a few clicks away to treat your pain.